Wednesday 3 April 2024

Chapter One - Overrunning Sunset Valley

It's a nice little town...at least. One of the many small towns that dot the landscape where people have a chance to raise a family in an atmosphere that isn't fraught with the troubles that you find in a city like Bridgeport. Crime is almost non-existent...with the exception of larceny. Sure, you get the occasional burglar, but the big stuff that you find in the big city like Bridgeport; murder and other crimes like that, isn't prevalent in a small town like Sunset Valley. It hasn't grown up yet to have those kind of problems.

And that just fits the bill perfectly for a town I want to settle down in. I just want a nice quiet place to settle down and be left alone. I have my own plans for this town but playing the quiet puppet-master in the dark background is my kind of thing. I don't like the limelight and I certainly don't want to be discovered as the mastermind behind the things going on in this little town. But I plan to mold this town to my will.

Now going into a little town like this means your name will get around town. You're the new guy in town. So the best thing is to find yourself a remote location to settle down in. I found the perfect place, right by a lake and waterfall. That way no-one asks questions and nobody ever comes up here anyways. I built a nice little 5x5 shelter to keep out the rain which should be good enough for me, at least until such time as I find enough gemstones to make my wallet bigger which will then mean that I'll be able to make my house bigger. Fridge, stove, bed and a few furnishings took what I had and well, it allows me to live the hermit lifestyle I've always wanted. All I have to do is have enough money to pay the taxes and feed myself and that way, I'll be OK.

Spent most of Sunday reading the paper and doing little things around my property...then went dumpster diving. It was a dirty bit of business, but I managed to find a gemstone in the dumpster. Hell, who knows why people toss out gemstones - found a tiberium in the dumpster. That was even better than motherlode. But with a little blackmail...I managed to get the guy who cuts gemstones to cut me a deal; a few good cuts on that gemstone to weed out the impurities and the price of that gemstone skyrocketed 500%. Always good to have a little dirt on people. Makes you untouchable. People are less likely to cause problems when they know that the fallout from their dirty little secrets getting out will cause them more problems than it will for me. The proceeds from that gemstone allowed me to expand the house pretty quickly. Hey, why should I stay poor? That's not gonna happen.

Met up with a few of the ladies in Sunset Valley. Like they say, you can never know enough people. Because you never know when they'll be of use. And it's been said that in order to get things done, it's not what you know, but who you know. Connections are useful things and the more that one has connections; the more you can get done. There were three families who were the movers and shakers in Sunset Valley. The Goths, the Altos and the Landgraabs. Those were the people to get to know. Morgana Wolff, I think her name was, gave me a good line on those three families. Her husband was a small fry who worked for Nick Alto. Rumor had it that he had his hands into everything that went on in Sunset Valley and he was about as crooked as a winding mountain road. His wife had her hands in everything too...including paying off the politicians who run this two-bit town so that they'd look the other way. Tori Kimura also was eyes and ears since she was in with the media.

After hob-nobbing with the two, I decided I'd get a little fishing in. Conveniently, there was a fishing pond at the park and so I decided that I'd cast my line and see what popped up. After all, fishing was a good skill to have - if you can fish, you won't go hungry.

Yeah, you could say that cooking was not my forte. Tried making mac and cheese. It didn't turn out well. My mother used to say I cooked with the aid of the fire-alarm. If it went off, I knew it was done.

At least, with the tiberium, I was able to put on a new addition to the house and get the All-in-One shower stall out of the kitchen. Having to go to the bathroom in the same room that you cook in is not the most hygienic way of doing things, so I was relieved to be able to get that shower stall out of the kitchen.

After dinner, I was able to try and discover some potions while upping my logic skill. It would come in handy in dealing with the Altos down the road. Between that and the inventing skill, I should be well-covered.

But for now, I was going to bide my time and wait to make my move.

No comments:

Post a Comment