Tuesday 2 April 2024

Good Golly, Miss Molly

The day went by relatively quickly as they were all getting used to living together. Noel was always eyeing Heather looking for opportunities to talk to her, but she quickly put a stop to that as she was completely loyal to Haruo. The group mostly hung out in their own rooms either reading or doing other things.

"Hi, Noel..." Noel looked up quickly upon hearing that voice. He knew that voice from university. Gone were the punk hairstyles and weird looking colors. This was a woman that was on the hunt.

"Hey, Molly, what brings you up here to Canada?

"Oh, heard you were kickin' around...and thought I'd see my old friend from college days." Molly smirked at him, "I did some work around New York for a bit, studied under a sous-chef and hoped that I could get somewhere, but when I found out that there was a vacancy in Vancouver for a short-order cook, I figured, what the hey... I'll see about going for an interview on Monday."

Noel was impressed. Gone was the indecisive Molly Madani; the girl who couldn't be sure of what she wanted off the $1.49 menu at McDonald's let alone what she was going to do in life. This was a young woman who knew exactly where she was going and what path she was choosing to get there and woe betide the fella who decided to obstruct her way. Molly had a bit of a temper and she would flay the person alive verbally. And Noel was smitten by her spirit as well as the beauty standing before him. Gone was his bit of jealousy that his friend had gotten a girl ahead of him. All his eyes were on Molly now.

"Um, you look a little tongue-tied, Noel?"

"Er. uh...well, yeah, Molly. You're looking really fantastic..." Noel stammered and then brought out a bouquet of yellow flowers, "yeah...uh..right...I am...tongue...tied..."

Molly laughed cheerily, "Well, Noel, I do look a bit different from college days. I ditched the punk style when I got into the culinary field and well...since that's going to be my path in life, I figured I'd better look the part.

"Yeah...well...I barely recognized you." Noel said...still trying to loosen his tongue.

"Think your friends would mind if I crashed here?" Molly asked, rather unsure of herself for a moment and seeing the old Molly emerge for a bit, Noel assured her that they wouldn't, especially not his friends who were easy-going and laid back.

"That's great!" Molly said, flinging her arms around Noel and giving him a hug. The whiff of her perfume, a flowery scent, filled his nostrils and made him tighten his arms around her that much more.

"Hey, Molly, do you think...that...uh..." Noel looked at her for a long moment.

"Uh-huh?" Molly prompted.

"...I've always liked you...in college...and I was wondering how you were doing these past few years..." Noel fumbled his way through..." um...I was wondering if...uh...you might be interested...um...in going steady?"

"You know what?" Molly smiled at him, "I wouldn't mind that at all..."

No comments:

Post a Comment